Wednesday 29 April 2020

Head of the 'Men In Black' - Our Stage Manager, Rich Hole




As part of the 'Men in Black', stage manager Rich Hole takes on the mammoth role of overseeing the construction and building of the set, as well as managing all aspects of the scenery plot. 

Sharing the stage with his wife Kelly, and daughters Maddison and Miley, we catch up with him on the fun and terror of making everything work behind the scenes..



Firstly, how did you join the Wight Strollers?

"When Maddison, my daughter, joined during Joseph (2016) as part of the children's choir, I got dragged in backstage! It was during that time that I was shoved over stage right with Graham (Warren) and we had the enviable task of trying to work out when to throw this goat on stage! Neither of us really had a clue.. but here we are!"

You then joined us as stage manager, how did you feel when you were approached?

"My first year of stage managing was Robin Hood (2019), prior to that I had done a few shows backstage but then suddenly I fell into stage manager! It was a bit of a weird feeling. Although, Sarah  (Scotcher) had asked me, all of the guys backstage had sort of voted me in...I was honoured. Privileged really, because it's a huge responsibility under the name of Strollers. It's a big team effort."

Brilliant! Moving on, I can imagine how tough it is, working backstage and enabling swift scene  changes...what makes it more enjoyable?

"It is definitely the blokes backstage, and having a laugh. If they weren't there it would be nowhere near as fun. Mind you, I do love a bit of chaos and pressure, that's where I thrive so it's the type of environment I would enjoy anyway. We have a good laugh backstage, definitely."

Switching focus - you've obviously got your wife and daughters on stage, what has been your proudest moment?

"Seeing Miley in her first principal role in Robin Hood, seeing Kelly in hers in Sleeping Beauty and then seeing Maddison really blossom in the dance troupe, really is it for me. Robin Hood has to be my proudest moment, not just because of my girls but because of the backstage crew. It was my first year stage managing and they made it so much easier for me."

What about funniest moment?

'The final show is always funny, when we do the pranks. I always go back to Robin Hood, when I said it would be rather amusing to put a poo bag in Sarah's tree, as she was the Mighty Oak. We were just going to use a brownie, but Tony (Scotcher), her husband, actually got one of Oscar, her dog's, poo bags with actual dog poo in it. If you watch back the DVD, it makes the final cut!! Sarah's reaction was priceless and that will forever be a favourite moment!!"

I really didn't know that happened! Poor Sarah.. let's talk about something else! 

"I promise, it was funny!!"

I'm sure! So.. what makes sharing the stage with your family so special?

"It's just so nice that we can all be involved with it. The fact that one has gone into it and now we're all into it, is brilliant. It's a real family thing that we can all talk about and share a love of, it's great."

Lastly, and quite possibly the most important question - is there any possibility you'd go on stage?

"Sarah had actually asked if I'd go on stage for Priscilla, but I did turn that down. I said I've got no rhythm, so I can't dance, and I can sing of a fashion but being on stage? Hmm...we'll see!"


I'll take that as a yes! Thank you Rich, for giving up countless hours at the scenery store and making sure that our shows are so professional and seamless. We, quite literally, couldn't do it without you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment