Tuesday 5 May 2020

From Superb Seamstress to Charming Chairman - Gerry Tulloch


As an original founding member of the Wight Strollers, an award-winning wedding designer, Head of Costumes for our pantomime in 2021 and our wonderful chairman, Gerry Tulloch is a highly-valued member within The Wight Strollers. 

Gerry even took on the mammoth job of co-ordinating, designing and making the costumes for our 2nd-ever musical -  Priscilla: Queen of the Desert!


Let's start with the basics! How did you first join the Wight Strollers?
I actually joined Nesta Meech School of Dance when I was 7 years old after I came home crying from my original dance teacher’s ballet lesson, and my Mum insisted on moving me to Nesta’s. It sort of started from there really...

I know that Nesta Meech evolved into pantomime from dance - what was your first principal role?
Nesta had a rule that you couldn’t take on a part until you were 16 and then you got ‘tried out’ in a smaller role. So at the age of 16 I had the delight of playing 2nd principal girl!

And then I take it you moved onto other various roles from there?
Yes. I played principal girl multiple times, always against Sue Hobbs actually! 


Have you got a specific memorable moment from these shows?
Well seeing as I don’t have a very good memory..! One of my favourite memories is playing the policeman in Aladdin with Sarah (Scotcher) and climbing in the basket together. She was doing all the talking and I was just standing in the background wondering how on earth we would get into this basket! It was really funny.


What about a favourite show? - I know it’s a difficult one!
My proudest moment was this year (Sleeping Beauty 2020). The finale especially. Not just because of the costumes particularly, but it was very emotional. And when I was there with Sarah on that last night, I got especially tearful.

Turning the tables, what about the most difficult show?..(which I think I may know the answer!)
Priscilla. Without a doubt. There were a LOT of costumes! It was a solid 9 months of work.. but so worth it.

Switching the focus onto your sewing background, when did you first learn to sew?
I learnt to sew from my mother. We did have sewing lessons at school, and I made a dress with hideous circular frill sleeves! I think because Mum sewed, I just continued doing so.

And what about making costumes?
I started that way back.. before we even became strollers. Instead of paying someone to make our costumes, because my parents didn't have a lot of money, I decided to make ours instead.


Now you design wedding dresses, costumes and costumes that look good enough to be wedding dresses (I've had a few!) - where do you think that artistic flair came from?
I don't really know actually. I was never particularly good at art, but I think it was just something in my head. Quite often when I start designing, it evolves and then it just works out!

Another role that you have is being our chairman. How did you feel when you first started out?
Very apprehensive actually! Mike (Sutcliffe) had done it for so many years and had done it so well that I felt as though it was a really hard act to follow. I definitely am growing into it but it's a lot easier now making those decisions.

Well I'm sure we can all agree that you're doing a brilliant job! Is it difficult being so involved in other aspects as well as being chairman?
We've not had as many chairmans that have been so closely involved in the productions and they were more of a figurehead. Whereas I know everybody personally and know their measurements off by heart!

Lastly, what makes The Wight Strollers so special?
I think it's just the fact that friends come together to do what they love. It's being part of that family that is the Strollers. We're all from different walks of life but we come together for the sole purpose of enjoying ourselves and making money to give to charity, which is huge. The amount we give away is actually huge and I, for one, am very proud of that.



Thank you so much Gerry for a wonderful interview, and for all you do for The Wight Strollers - down to the very last sequin! We are so lucky to have you as our Chairman.. (and everything else!)


No comments:

Post a Comment