Wednesday 20 May 2020

Meet Our Music Maestro - An Interview With Kim Ball

Kim Ball is a well-known name across Island Theatre groups, performing in plays and musicals, playing in orchestras, conducting orchestras and being musical director for shows. 


Kim is also a highly-valued member of the Wight Strollers, who makes arrangements specially for us - some have no sheet music and are sometimes from a song found on YouTube, but wherever the song is from each arrangement is as gorgeous as the last!  Meet our Music Maestro! 

Starting simply - How did you first get into the Wight Strollers?

I was MDing (musical director-ing!) the musical Oliver! for the Island Savoyards, and Emily and Sarah (Scotcher) were in it. I think they had sized me up and eventually asked me to MD for Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat for the Strollers. And that, as they say, is where it all starts!



And how do you find MDing pantomimes instead of musicals?

It's a completely different type of challenge, because it means finding the music and making arrangements. Usually if Emily is around, it involves doing it from a video, which is a huge challenge, but one I definitely enjoy!

Do you have a favourite arrangement or song we've done that you always go back to?

Gosh, that is just so hard! Off the top of my head, I genuinely enjoy villainous songs like the song 'Evil Like Me' (Jack and the Beanstalk 2017). I've got a soft spot for 'Happy', used for the opening of the same show. Primarily because it was the first one I taught to the Strollers and I still love it! 
Obviously I loved playing 'Spell on You' for Sleeping Beauty (2020) and I enjoyed the performance. That was one where I got to watch the dance too, so it was a win-win!

What about a favourite moment off-stage?

'I do have one...and it relates to my daughter, Becky! It was the first dress rehearsal for Priscilla: Queen of the Desert which subsequently was the first time she ever performed 'Pop Muzik', as she stepped in last minute! The band had struck up and Jamie (Woodford) decided to do it at 3 times the normal speed...! Becky came running off, poked her head round the curtain and said "what was that?!" - It's a moment I remember fondly.

Now turning the tables to difficult shows! - have you found any show you've ever done challenging?

My mind immediately goes back to one of the very first shows I did as a student. It was Kleine Mahogany and the music for that is immensely challenging. More recently, as I've gathered experience, all my memories as MD have been nice rather than challenging!

Let's talk about musicals in the future.. - is there a dream musical that you'd love to MD?

Hmm.. Priscilla was the one I've always wanted to do and I was lucky to do that with the Strollers. I also have to say, I'd love to MD Chicago, because I love the show so much!

Talking from personal experience, why is music so important?

Oh wow. Music is a language that speaks to everybody. It doesn't matter what language you speak, you can all enjoy listening to music and you can take something from it. The sharing of emotion without the need for words is so important. For me, music is just in my blood. 


Beautifully put. As a talented musician, you must have some inspirations - can you tell me some of yours? 

This is a funny one. If I go back and look at where it first came from for me, there are two people that come to mind. One of them was a friend called Jacqueline, who played the piano prodigiously. She used to sit at my house, playing our piano and I was always so impressed and so wanted to be like her. 
The other was my Grandmother, Nanny Maud, who played the piano for silent movies. She always played at family Christmases whilst singing Gilbert and Sullivan and music was always there for her. She always had life in her and the music genuinely came through my bones. She was just such an inspiration.

And to finish, why is Strollers so special?

Oh dear...wow. I'll try to put that in a sentence! I think because we know why we're there, to raise money for Island Charities, and to do that as well as we possibly can. The combination of having the drive to raise money as well as the desire to do our very best is just beautiful. I think it's the people, I really do.




Kim, you've arranged some beautiful pieces of music, as well as creating some unforgettable harmonies, and we could not be more grateful to you for that, and for being such a wonderful presence. Thank-you for everything, and for being a part of our family!


No comments:

Post a Comment